Monday, November 13, 2006

Sharing the joy

My husband and I were attending a surprise 50th birthday party for my brother-in-law, and we were in a small hole-in-the-wall New York City eating establishment. We didn't know these people very well, and I had expressed some distaste at being in a group of people who would inevitably find out our current state of affairs. On the other hand, I told my husband, this was a rare opportunity for him to experience the Baby Button Phenomenon that I had repeatedly complained to him about.

We finally found someone to chat with, having successfully steered her away from Baby, and were deep in conversation about her sheep dogs, when the woman beside me, whom I will identify only as Peroxide Blonde, interrupted the three of us to interject the following:

"Epidural, all the way."
"Epidural?" my husband repeated, staring at her blankly.
"Yes," she said, "I don't believe in natural childbirth."
"We were talking about dogs," my husband said.
"I know; I'm just saying, it's all about the epidural."
"....We'd rather talk about dogs."

Maybe she figured out that she'd been overly rude, or maybe she thought we were exceptionally unfriendly. In any event she didn't say another word to us for the rest of the evening, thank god.

No comments: