Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Asking for it

Here are the warning signs of impending labor:

1)Engagement: AKA the baby dropped.

2)Pelvic Pressure

3)Vaginal Discharge
4)Nesting Instinct: AKA impending mother suddenly gets the urge to clean everything in sight.

5)Braxton Hicks Contractions: AKA false labor

6)Shivering or Trembling
7)Diarrhea

8)Mucus Plug or Bloody Show

9)Rupture of Membranes: AKA the water broke

and finally...

10)Regular Contractions


You'd think the questions couldn't get any dumber, nosier or riskier but here's the new one, heard only in the last few days: So, have there been any warnings?

What they mean is, do you think you'll be going into labor any time soon?

"Well, let me see," I can imagine telling random co-workers at lunch, "Yesterday I woke up with a whopping case of diarrhea, and then all day I was having these irregular contractions, and then the mucus plug came out and I had a bloody show, and all day I felt like cleaning the entire house and rearranging the furniture, plus for a week I've been having all this vaginal discharge and major Braxton-Hicks contractions, but other than that, no, I haven't had any warning signs. Hey, you don't seem to be eating your lunch, can I have it? I'm eating for two, you know."

Or, maybe I should just keep all that in my head and answer the question as I have been, which is, "Warnings for what?" Someday they may just figure out it's none of their business, though by then it will be too late. For me, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole time I've been reading this blog, I've gotten more and more fearful of becoming pregnant...But I've got to admit...It's nice hearing about pregnancy from a truly realistic perspective! I'm particularly looking forward to reading how the delivery goes!

Suddenly Human said...

Well, as they say, every pregnancy is different...this has gone much better than I thought it would, plus being able to laugh at people behind their backs makes all the difference.

I'll try not to disappoint on the delivery :)