Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Non-Alcoholic

The whole thou-shalt-not-drink-while-pregnant line has been blown way out of proportion here in Puritan, Prohibitionist America. Case in point: while the AMA's official line on the subject is no amount of alcohol consumed while pregnant has been proven to be safe (their official line on just about everything to do with pregnancy, as they don't test drugs, recreational or otherwise, on pregnant women), the myriad pregnancy experts have taken up the call and twisted it to: even the smallest amount of alcohol could harm your baby!

Making it sound like if you accidentally swallow your mouthwash anytime during those tedious nine months, you might as well go to jail for child abuse right now. All hope is lost. Now everyone knows that pregnant women can't drink at all lest their offspring have more than one head, and so the option isn't even there. But they have no compunction about drinking around a pregnant woman. The thought in the back of everyone's head is that, as long as she's not an alcoholic, she couldn't possibly mind, right?

My husband and I love wine. The taste of it with dinner, and the romantic idea of it: a warm glass of red by the fire in winter, a chilled glass of white of a hot summer's evening. We love the idea of wine so much we make wine, lovingly squeezing fruits of their essential juices, adding yeast, and letting nature do what it does best. Our traditional New Year's celebrations include an expensive bottle of champagne, which we consume the whole of (the only time we down an entire bottle of alcohol) all the while describing its properties in admittedly layman's terms to keep for prosperity. Sometimes we even talk about our goals for the New Year.

This year, of course, all that has been curtailed. For both of us.

We were recently at a friend's house for dinner. Bypassing me, the host asked my husband if he wanted a drink of some kind. My husband shook his head. "Alas," he said, "I'm pregnant."

The host looked from me to him incredulously and blurted, "You're both not drinking together??"

Heaven forfend we agree to do something together. Like, say, get pregnant.

To me there is no other way to go about it. You're either both on board or not. There were a number such conditions I laid out before I agreed to go down this road, not the least of which was that if I couldn't drink, my husband couldn't drink. Or put another way: if you drink, I drink, and you wouldn't want to harm your unborn child like that, would you?

But I don't have to threaten my husband to make this journey into as much of a partnership as we possibly can. There is, in reality, very few things that he is able to do or sacrifice during the nine months of gestation, so those conscious efforts to stay on the road with me are essential. Instead of making this a non-choice that only I have to make, he's made it into a positive choice for both of us. We're both not drinking. Not because one of us is pregnant, but because we've decided not to imbibe in alcoholic beverages for a period of 9 months.

Everyone deals with pregnancy in their own way. Some women don't feel the need to involve their partners. Some women either don't have partners to involve or have partners who are just getting dragged along for the ride. I personally think that's a sad and lonely way to go about this journey, but that's just my opinion.

Our long abstinence is almost over and we're glad. There are still some Nazis who claim that alcohol and breastfeeding don't mix, and I'm sure they don't if you plan to get plastered every night. But we plan to enjoy our New Year's eve champagne soon after Stanley's born, maybe right there in the hospital. And we plan to sample the fruit wines that have been aging in the basement, and we plan to savor our first glasses of red and white wines as the sun sets on our early spring evenings.

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. I think everyone should try it. You don't even have to get knocked up to do it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really great your husband has given up drinking with you. My husband and I are just starting to drink wine. Mostly for health reasons (so it is red wine of course), but hopefully we will grow accustom to the taste. Can you recommend a good red wine that TASTES good? One that can be drunken with most anything (as I know certain red wines go better with certain foods than others). But we don't have a lot of money to buy all different sorts of red wines.

And I don't think a swig here or there is gonna hurt baby either. :)

Suddenly Human said...

Sounds like you're not a red wine fan :) I tend to like reds more than whites so I'm biased, but as for a good sipping red wine, I like Smoking Loon's Merlot. Mirasou makes a good, inexpensive (relatively) Pinot Noir.

And thanks for your support! It's good to know there's voices of reason out there... :)

Anonymous said...

I know I'm quite a bit late on this, but I'm reading through your recent archives and had to post.

My pregnant wife "Elf" and I just moved from urban Northern Virginia to rural Southwest Virginia, and we've noticed some of the pressure disappear with that move. We went to a party with some good-old-southern people, and they expressed surprise that Elf -- then nearly eight months along -- was not drinking.

Likewise, I did a Habitat for Humanity project with someone in her fifth month, and the on-site coordinator had *her* up a ladder, hammering away at nails over her head.

Fortunately, not *everyone* thinks pregnant women should just sit quietly in a corner with a glass of lukewarm water.

Suddenly Human said...

No... not everyone does, to be sure. But the ones that do are really loud about it...

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. I live in Far Northern Australia where the sun shines most of the time and our national past time is drinking, thus my husband and I used to spend a lot of time on our deck drinking wine (me ) and beer (him). I am five months pregnant and have stopped drinking (except the occasional light beer), but my husband appears to be drinking for the two of us. I am very lonely, as I can't seem to get my husband to do anything that doesn't involve drinking (and he can't stop when he starts). I thought pregnancy would be more wonderful. Good luck with your pregnancy and well done to the two of you.